Teatro “A. Galli” on Flickr.
In 1840 Rimini realized it lacked a proper city theater and commisioned the neo-classical architect Luigi Poletti this huge work. He came up with one the finest, yet sober, example of “teatro all’ italiana” at those times. it was initally named “Teatro Nuovo”, then “Teatro Vittorio Emanuele II”, and finally after the local composer Amintore Galli.
In 1857 the inauguration was held by Giuseppe Verdi’s premier of “Aroldo”. Here’s how it looked like then: www.rimini.com/img_doc/1/831.jpg
Its last concert season was on 1943 mardi gras, when it was bombed and almost completly destroyed, as it was a great part of the city during the WWII. Only the façade and the foyer survived.
This photo is how it looks now, a sumptuous house for pigeons waiting to be evicted by a seemingly elusive reconstruction project.
In the meanwhile, exactly as it was in 1840 (except that now we are more that 140,000 people) the city lacks a proper theater.